Sunday, February 7, 2010

March 15, 2005 Qui Nhon to Quang Ngai - Toys and Tears

After leaving our luxury accommodations, we proceeded to the Qui Nhon Orphanage and Old Persons Home. This is a very old but well kept facility which houses orphans, disabled children and the elderly.

They were excitedly expecting us and many were gathered in their open air meeting hall.

As we walked from the bus two severely disabled young men approached from the nearby walkway. One of them was moving on his belly on something similar to an automotive creeper. Gary hobbled over to him on his crutches and proceeded to produce one of his special smiley faced tennis balls from his long shirt sleeve. The young man's face lit up as they made a connection and he seemed to greatly appreciate the effort it took for Gary to approach the porch and present the ball to him. It was the beginning of a series of magical moments.

I had a few small stuffed animals in my pocket and used them as ice breakers as we walked down the path. We were like the pied pipers again and enjoyed every minute.

One of our participants had gotten WalMart to donate a bunch of yellow smiley face stickers. We had each been given a supply to hand out. Some of our first people to hand them out started putting them on the forehead of the recipients. It was a hit and hilarious to see these adult Vietnamese elders with yellow smiley stickers on their forehead. Of course we had them on ours as well so it was all in fun. A definite ice breaker as we proceeded to hand out pens, toys, party favors and cans of milk.

Some of the items we present may seem trivial but the gift is more what we are doing for their spirit and putting a bright spot in their otherwise bleak day.

Next we proceeded on into the meeting hall. Our humanitarian gifts at this stop included $150 worth of medical supplies that were purchased with funds donated by our Oregon Veteran's Motorcycle Association. It went a long way in purchasing locally things like vitamins, tylenol and other items which we take for granted and are so needed by these people. Gary was asked to say a few words to present the items and the people were very receptive.

As the result of our newspaper article which was circulated on the internet, we had received a donation of $150 from a Vietnam veteran in North Carolina. He is part of an organization titled "Veterans For Peace" and works with Afghan Orphans. With his donation, we were able to purchase a supply of milk to help meet the basic nutritional needs of the young babies at this orphanage.

From there a few of us proceeded down an additional hallway to deliver cans of milk to elders not well enough to come to the meeting hall. My spirit was so moved by these people that I wanted so badly to hold them...so I did.

Sitting beside them, hugging them, holding their hands, speaking in hushed tones...both of us in different languages but at the same time a common language...that of compassion and love. A bond that women have, an understanding of family, the joys, the sorrows, and the hardships of life. As I moved from bed to bed and room to room, they each seemed to melt into me, clinging to me, not wanting the moment or the magic to end. Oh, God will I be able to leave with my heart?

At first a few of those with cameras stayed to capture the moment, but finally moved on. As I entered the final room, I was alone as I approached the frail little lady with her bright purple head scarf snug around her face. Her cheeks were concave and she was toothless. Once I connected with her and held her hand we proceeded to communicate in whispered "sweet nothings" her in Vietnamese and me in English.

As the tears streaked down my face I removed my glasses. She reached up and touched the tears on my cheeks. I'm not sure really how long I sat there but it seemed like an eternity.

As I "process it" now it feels as though I had the opportunity to visit again with my grandmother, my mother, my step-mother, my father-in law, mother-in-law and my father...oh Daddy, yes how good it would be...it was as though this dear, old Vietnamese woman can carry all those "sweet nothings", hugs and caresses to them and tell them I've done right by them.

When I reentered the courtyard I was greeted by the ever present counselor, Tony, who gave me the big hug I needed.

The rest of the group had moved on to the separate building which houses disadvantaged kids. It was time for tissue to the face and a "refill" of my pockets in the bus. I filled every pocket of my cargo pants with small stuffed beanie baby toys placing them so they were peeking out. It has been awhile since I had to walk sideways down the aisle of a bus, but with all my bulging pockets that was the only way I could maneuver.

As I entered the porch balcony, where the rest of the group were handing out toys and playing with the kids, I raised my hands above my head and did a little dance around as the toddlers squealed with delight to see the contents of my pockets. As they helped themselves to the contents of my pockets, I had a fleeting thought that I might be teaching them some bad habits of picking pockets. However, we had a ball and it was so rewarding seeing the way they share toys and help each other.

Many of those stuffed animals were donated by American children with way too many toys. The pictures I have to share with them of these children should give them a good lesson in the power of giving to someone less fortunate than yourself. One boy was a double amputee but held his toy with the stubs of his arms. Several were blind and I saw them enjoying the smells and textures of their gifts.

Finally I moved to a inner room where two very severely handicapped children lay on the bed. They were both born with "spina bifida" as a direct result of their parent's exposure to Agent Orange. There, bending down beside their bed was Gary, reaching out to touch and comfort them. Later he related that although they had been almost screeching prior to his visit, they quieted down quickly with the comfort of another's touch. He was obviously moved.

Once we were again out on the porch, Gary got down on his hands and knees to help a young boy play with his new hot wheels toy. It was both touching and magical.

Did I mention this trip was predicted to be an emotional one ???

All of Life is An Adventure
You only need to know the universal language of compassion and love to experience it,

Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment